A Brief History Of Maiden Erlegh Bowling Club
The land, which we own, originally formed part of the Maiden Erlegh Estate and was the kitchen garden to the Manor house, re-built in the 17th and18th century (now demolished).
The Estate originated from the ancient Manor of Erlegh St. Nicholas,19 acres of which were granted by John de Erlegh of Whiteknights, to Robert de Erlegh in 1362.
On 18th July 1939, a public meeting was held in St. Peter's Hall, chaired by Alderman George Ford, and attended by approximately 50 members of the public, with a view to forming a Bowling Club. The advent of the war and considerations of the site, delayed the opening until 9th September 1944, marked by the President of the E.B.A., who brought a team of 24 players. He presented a flag to the Club and both teams and visitors were entertained to tea.
Records show that an initial meeting was held to form a ladies section in 1967, but they continued as a separate section until full integration in 2000. Meanwhile, in 1968 a meeting was held, attended by a large number of members of local Clubs, to discuss the creation of an indoor bowling Club.
Our site contained suitable land for this project and a 99-year lease was signed in November 1971, later extended to 2090. Further major developments started in 1995, with extensions to the Indoor Club premises, the car park, the "movement" of our outdoor green, and construction of a clubroom and storage facilities.
We celebrated our 60th Anniversary in 2004. In 2006 we embarked upon improvements of the green, by appointing external contractors. Priding itself in its attractive surrounds and friendly atmosphere, the Club is looking forward to a bright future. Records also show that Helen Finch was Ladies' County President in 1976, Gerry Elliot was Gent's County President in 1989 and MEBC had its first Lady President in 2006.